Meaning of 言う in Japanese
Definition of 言う
Words related to 言う
(exp) just like that; in the twinkling of an eye; in the blink of an eye; in the time it takes to say "ah!"
The holiday ended all too soon.
(adj-pn) such; like this
You'd better check these points.
(exp) this is why; this means
Gold will not buy everything.
(exp) it goes without saying; there is no need to say so, but of course; it is needless to say; it need scarcely be said
It goes without saying that Rome was not built in a day.
(adj-pn) such; like that; that sort of; very
Don't talk about such a thing.
- (n) beyond expression; unspeakable; inexpressible; indescribable
(exp) to have a comeback (i.e. a reason, or rationalization) for every remark
Whatever I say, he has a comeback ready. You can't get a word in edgewise.
(exp) obviously; as we all know; needless to say; of course
Not only does she speak English, but also German.
(exp) on the least pretext; at the drop of a hat
The teacher pokes his nose into everything.
(exp) in what way (do you mean)
Please explain how to get there.
(exp) as (somebody) says
I guess you're right, Jane.
(exp) don't finish what you're saying; stop what you're saying
"I've heard about it, Koichi" "You don't need to say anything more, I know. It's the summer festival incident at the shrine, right?"
(exp) even though; despite; when
Strange to say, all the lights in the house were on, though no one was at home.
(exp) so to speak
That man is, so to speak, a grown-up boy.
(exp) (at the) last moment; (in the) nick of time
His nerve failed him at the last moment.
- (exp) what is called; as it is called; the so-called; known as; so to speak
(conj) if one were to speak of ..., then certainly; if it were the case that ..., then certainly; if it were a ..., then certainly; phrase used to indicate the inevitability of what follows it (based on what precedes it)
We associate the name of Darwin with The Origin of Species.
- so that means (when used in sentence-initial position)
- (exp) it is not possible (to, that); there is no such thing as
(exp) a state called; a position described as; can sum up as; approximates to
It's not yet what you'd call finished but we're starting to get pretty good results.
- places known as; that called
the place named
There's a place called Kuchiwa in Hiroshima.
- (exp) Talk about next year and the devil will laugh
- (exp) according to what someone said; according to someone's story
- (exp) Look who's talking.; Oh, look who's talking!; Give me a break!; Blow it out; Get out of here!
- (exp) nothing one can say (e.g. about something perfect)
- (exp) I've heard that ...; rumour has it that ...
- it appears as if ...
- (exp) that's not a nice thing to say; that's not a nice way of putting it; there was no need to say that
- (exp) to tell the truth; in actuality; in reality