Meaning of 切る in Japanese
Definition of 切る
- (suf, v5r, vt) to cut (usu. to cut through)
- to sever (connections, ties)
to turn off (i.e. the light)
Do you mind if I turn off the AC?
to terminate (i.e. a conversation); to hang up (the phone); to disconnect
"May I speak to Mr Smith?" "Will you hold the line?"
- to punch (a ticket); to tear off (a stub)
- to open (something sealed)
I quit my job and moved so I could start off with a clean slate.
- to set (a limit)
- to reduce; to decrease; to discount
- to shake off (water, etc.); to let drip-dry (or drain)
- to cross
- to do (something noticeable)
- to turn (a vehicle)
- to cut (the ball)
to shuffle (cards)
Please shuffle the cards carefully.
- to trump
- (in Go) to isolate (an opponent's stone)
(suf, v5r) (after the -masu stem of a verb) to finish; to complete
Harry managed to swim across the river.