Meaning of の in Japanese
Definition of の
- (prt) indicates possessive →Related words: 乃
- nominalizes verbs and adjectives
- substitutes for "ga" in subordinate phrases →Related words: が
- (at sentence-end, falling tone) indicates a confident conclusion
- (at sentence-end) indicates emotional emphasis
- (at sentence-end, rising tone) indicates question
Words related to の
- (n) the harmonizing, mentally and physically, of two parties engaged in an activity
(n) countryside people (in town); visitor from the country; out-of-towner; country bumpkin (visiting the big city); yokel
Calm down a little, Kissho, your bumpkin nature is standing out!
(n) wanted man; person sought by the police
He is wanted by the police.
(adj-pn) that (something or someone distant from the speaker, close to the listener; actions of the listener, or ideas expressed or understood by the listener); the
Every day I waited for her at the bookstore after school.
- (int) um...; er...; uh...
(exp) hence; for that reason
For that reason, temporary workers are working under inferior conditions.
(conj) in addition; furthermore
This book is interesting and, what is more, very instructive.
above (which); on top of (which)
I paid five dollars in addition.
(n) each time it happens; at all such times
Please keep me informed.
(adv) before very long; soon; eventually; sooner or later; of the previously mentioned
Hope we can work together soon.
- (exp) the grass is always greener on the other side
- (prt) although; when; and yet; despite this; in spite of; even though; but even so; but even then; however; nevertheless; for all that; notwithstanding that
- if only; I wish
- I tell you; you should do
- in order to
- (adv) like; similar to
as with; in the same way
He made me out to be a liar.
(exp) on the shores of; by the side of (e.g. rivers, ponds)
Paris, which is on the Seine, is a beautiful city.
in the neighborhood of; in the neighbourhood of; in the vicinity of; close by; near; by
His house is somewhere about Fourth Street.
(adj-pn) mere; only; just
Christmas is only two weeks off.
- (adj-i) affable; amiable; sociable; agreeable
(n) bad fellow; rascal; ruffian; scoundrel
The absent are always in the wrong.
(exp) parochial; provincial; used to encourage someone to get a wider perspective
I can't believe you're so clueless. You're like a babe in the woods.
- (n) swallowing in one gulp; downing; mouthful; bite
- sipping; sip
- thinking nothing of one's opponent; making easy prey of someone
(n) somebody (important); someone
He thought himself to be somebody.
- (n) taste (of a liquid, esp. alcoholic beverages)
- someone who enjoys alcohol
- rim (of a glass)
- shape of one's mouth when drinking
- tap; faucet; spigot
(n) drink money; drinking money
The total bill for drinks came up to 7000 dollars.