Meaning of で in Japanese
Definition of で
- (n, n-suf) coming out; going out; outflow; efflux; rising (of the sun or moon)
- attending (work); appearing (on stage); one's turn to go on
- start; beginning
- origins; background; person (or item) originating from ...; graduate of ...; native of ...; member of ... (lineage)
- architectural member that projects outward
- highest point of the stern of a ship
- amount (comprising something); amount of time or effort required to do something
Words related to で
(n) hitherto; so far
So far I have been getting along well with my friends.
- (exp) That was a delicious meal (said after meals); What a wonderful meal
- (int) that is so; that is right; it looks to me; I am of the impression
- people say that (after plain verb, adj); it is said that; I hear that
(conj) and; thereupon; because of that
That leaves no room for doubt.
(adv) incidentally; taking the opportunity; while (you) are at it; on the occasion
Can you buy one for me as well?
- (exp) (something) has become possible; (something) is now possible
(adj-i) unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive
It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
(exp) absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit
"Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
- don't mention it; you're welcome
Sweden has a language of its own.
(n) hereditary (genetic) disease
My baby has a hereditary disease.
(n) transmission of the secrets of an art, craft, trade or learning from father to only one child
For a guy who was chosen by his father as the only son to be taught the secrets of this martial art, he doesn't have much of a kick.
(exp) alone; by oneself; voluntarily; spontaneously; automatically
I suggested that she go alone.
- (n) negative (static) charge; negative electric charge; (sometimes called "negative electricity")
(exp) wide difference; a world of difference
There is a world of difference between, "somehow being understood" and "using correct English."
(n) Jack of all trades
I wore several hats at my last office so I'd like to specialize this time.
- general merchant
(adv) how long?; till when?
How long will you stay in Tokyo?
(adv) forever; for good; eternally; as long as one likes; indefinitely; no matter what
I still bear his name in mind.
(adv) how far; to what extent
How far are you going for a drive?
(adv) anywhere; through thick and thin; to the utmost; persistently; stubbornly; in all respects; thoroughly
He looks every inch a gentleman.
- (n) seeking one's own interests; straining (the interpretation or argument) to suit one's own interests; drawing water for one's own field
(n) electric torch; flashlight
This flashlight is getting dim.
(n) dry cell; battery
You're not going to get electrocuted just by directly touching a 1.5V battery.
(exp) completely; thoroughly; horribly; without exception; until there's no untouched (undamaged) part
You were about to dump her flat out, weren't you?
(adv) quite; entirely; completely; at all
I have no idea why it is so.
- as if; as though; just like
(adv) already; too late
We have already done our work.
(exp) almost; very nearly
I was nearly hit by a car.