Meaning of でも in Japanese
Definition of でも
Words related to でも
(adj-i) unthinkable; unexpected; outrageous; offensive
It isn't true that Jack is no good at music; on the contrary, he plays the piano well.
(exp) absolutely not!; not at all!; far from it!; impossible!; preposterous!; what a thing to say!; no way!; bullshit
"Have you finished it?" "On the contrary, I've just begun."
- don't mention it; you're welcome
(n) Jack of all trades
I wore several hats at my last office so I'd like to specialize this time.
- general merchant
(adv) forever; for good; eternally; as long as one likes; indefinitely; no matter what
I still bear his name in mind.
(adv) anywhere; through thick and thin; to the utmost; persistently; stubbornly; in all respects; thoroughly
He looks every inch a gentleman.
(exp) it goes without saying; there is no need to say so, but of course; it is needless to say; it need scarcely be said
It goes without saying that Rome was not built in a day.
(n) even now; still; as yet
I still bear her name in mind.
- (n) rash; boil; eruption (skin)
- secondhand article; bargain; good buy
- (n) (of a woman) divorcing and moving back in with her parents
- (of an employee) leaving a position only to return to it later
- (of a ship) leaving from and returning to the same port
(conj) but (still); and yet; nevertheless; even so; notwithstanding
It's raining hard and yet I must go.
(adv) willy-nilly; whether willing or not
You must go, like it or lump it.
- (adj-i) not as dissatisfied (or annoyed) as (s)he would have us believe
(n) gift; souvenir
We were given a pot as a gift of my cousin's wedding party.
(n) pimple; acne; boil
During the hot season, my son's skin breaks out easily.
(adv) to the last; persistency; thoroughness
The sky is as blue as blue can be.
(adv) as many (much) as one likes
We have still a lot of food left.
- (exp) anything and everything; all sorts of things; by all means
(adv) among (other things); inter alia
I think I was dancing in my sleep.
- above all (else)
(exp) whether one likes it or not; willy-nilly
You must do the work even if you don't like it.
- (exp) under no circumstances; whatever the circumstances may be; say what you like
(exp) I, myself; one-self; by one-self
Do it by yourself.
even I; even one
Even I can't believe that.
(exp) obviously; as we all know; needless to say; of course
Not only does she speak English, but also German.
- (exp) inconsequential; indifferent; not worth worrying about; whatever you do is OK; trivial
- (exp) neither... nor... (with the implication that there are other "nor..." items)
- denying explicitly one thing and also denying implicitly other things as well
- not like (you); not (your) usual self
(exp) ill omened (as in "Don't say such an ill omened thing!"); unlucky
It's bad luck to say that.
- (exp) what I want to say is ...; the fact of the matter is ...
- (n) someone who became a teacher for lack of anything better to do
- (exp) All's grist that comes to his mill; turn everything to good account; turn anything to profit