Meaning of そう in Japanese
Definition of そう
(v5u) to run along; to run beside
We took a walk along the river.
- to follow (a plan, etc.); to act in accordance with
- (n) koto (13-stringed Japanese zither)
- stringed instrument
- zheng (Chinese zither); guzheng
- (aux) to be (auxiliary used in place of "aru" after "de" or "ni" when forming a copula); to do (auxiliary used in place of "-masu" after a -masu stem)
(n) surname; family name
How do you pronounce your last name?
- hereditary title (used in ancient Japan to denote rank and political standing)
(n) monk; priest
The priest participated in the children's game.
(v5u) to meet (one's expectations, etc.); to satisfy; to comply with
Your behavior does not come up to my expectations.
- to accompany; to stay by one's side
- to marry; to wed
- to be added
- (n) traditional Japanese wind instrument resembling panpipes; free-reed instrument used in Japanese court music
(ctr) counter for (small) boats
These men had come to his country in three ships.
(adv) in that way (concerning the actions of the listener or concerning the ideas expressed or understood by the listener; with a neg. sentence, implies that something isn't as much as one might think); thus; such
Now that I am a grownup, I think otherwise.
(int) so (used to express agreement with something said)
"Does your back hurt?" "No, not really." "Oh, that's something then, isn't it?"
- so? (used to express some doubt with something said)
(n) draft; rough copy
There is no grass on the moon.
- cursive script; "grass" kanji